Monday, June 28, 2010

When I get stressed or have a lot on my mind, I like to:
-Play piano
-Organize/Clean
-Bake
I wasn't feeling like playing the piano, and I knew I'd get my cleaning fix in after baking, so baking it was! First I made some basic peanut butter cookies, which weren't vegan, so I didn't actually eat any of them, but I had a request for them, so I figured I should check those off the list! Then I decided to make Vegan Peanut Butter Cups, from Oh She Glow, which required a trip to the grocery store, because I didn't have any graham crackers, but it was totally worth it!!! These turned out fabulously! Definitely give these babies a try, because I'm pretty sure you could convince your friends that being a vegan isn't difficult, when you've got these treats around!
After I did some baking, it was time to make dinner, and I was trying to decide what to throw together. I realized this month (thanks to Mint.com) that I've spent over $400 at the grocery store this month... $400 is a lot for one person, especially when I'm not even buying meat or dairy! As it turns out, I have expensive grocery tastes! :) I'd say it's worth it. But anyways, I wanted to use ingredients I already had, without taking a trip to the store, so here is what I came up with:

Mediterranean Pesto Couscous
1 whole wheat pita
3 tbs pesto
1/2 cup uncooked couscous
1/4 cup cucumber slices
1/4 cup of tomato, diced

I sprayed the pita with olive oil and threw it on the George Foreman for about 3 minutes (actually maybe a little longer, because it was frozen!) then put the couscous in the microwave with 3/4 cup of water for 2 minutes. I let it stand for 5 minutes and fluffed with a fork. I stirred in the pesto with the cucumber and tomato and then stuffed all that in the pita. It was super simple, and only took about 10 minutes start to finish! The pesto was leftover from the Avocado & Pesto dish I made last week, and everything else I had on hand, so it was pretty simple, not to mention great nutritional stats. Depending on what you use, if you eat everything listed above, it would have about ~450 calories, plus about 13 g of fiber, and 17g of protein. But a lot of it depends on your pita. I use ones that are on the small side, and only have about 100 calories per pita.Pretty sure couscous is one of my new favorite foods! It's so versatile! Sorry for not taking pictures of what I made this weekend. :( Blogger fail!

And now, for a product review!




Better N' Peanut Butter is a lower calorie type of peanut butter. Here are the stats:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 tbsp (32.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100
Calories from Fat 18
Total Fat 2.0g
Sugars 2.0g
Protein 4.0g
Fiber 2.0g


Since normal peanut butter has about 190 calories per serving, you can see this guy is a calorie bargan! Nothing against my regular nut butter, but sometimes I want to add peanut butter without adding a lot of calories. (Especially if it's a complete indulgence, like coconut ice cream!)


Price: About $4 a jar, depending on where you get it. When I went to Giant Eagle, it was $6.99!!! But Trader Joe's normally has it for about $4.


Taste: It doesn't taste EXACTLY like peanut butter. It's a little bit runny, and has a slightly sweeter taste. I don't think I'd swap it out for a peanut butter sandwich, but it's great for apple dipping, spread over waffles, or in smoothies (or banana ice cream).
Overall, I LOVE this product! Like I said, it's not exactly like peanut butter (and you can't get a chunky version) but it's great for certain uses! Now go try some for yourself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment