Thursday, June 17, 2010

Vegan Cupcakes!

Last night I was in a baking mood (Thanks to Food Network's Cupcake Wars) so I decided to try this Vegan Chocolate Cupcake recipe from Everything Is Homemade. I didn't use the almond extract (because I didn't have any...) but they still turned out pretty well!!

I'm still on a quest to convince my friends that Vegan baked goods CAN taste good. I've learned the easiest way to convince people is to tell them that the goods are vegan AFTER they've eaten them. They actually turned out pretty well!



Please ignore the icing smudge from the plastic wrap. I forgot to take a picture until I'd actually wrapped them. My co-workers loved them!



Side story: In order to make the cupcakes, I needed to get apple cider vinegar from the grocery store. That was the ONLY thing I needed. This is what I came home with.


I'm hopeless at staying focused at the store. There are just too many things I want to try!


I was feeling lazy about making frosting, but I didn't want to use canned frosting, because they all had high fructose corn syrup and/or hydrogenated oils. (aka trans fat!) Thankfully, I came across this guy and decided to give it a shot!


I wasn't sure how I would like it, because when I opened the jar it didn't seem thick enough. It was certainly a little bit more difficult to spread, but it tasted delicious! It didn't really "set" like a normal frosting, but it didn't run off the cupcakes either, so I was quite pleased. It's what I used in the picture above (to be fair, the plastic wrap is the reason it smeared!) so I would definitely buy this product again. I also bought their cookie & cake mix, so I'm excited to try those out. I'm glad to finally find some vegan baking mixes!

That's all for now!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment