Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Vegan Fail

So last night I decided to make Black Bean Brownies from the Happy Herbivore. But silly me, I decided to just write the recipe down, instead of looking at the computer. I put in all the ingredients listed (although I ran out of agave nectar, so I subbed some of it for Maple Syrup... not sure if that was a good idea or not...) and I think it would have turned out well, except that I didn't write down the directions other than the mix and bake at 350 for half an hour. I didn't actually run the ingredients through the food processor. I just mixed it using a hand mixer. So while the TASTE isn't bad, there are bean lumps... secret ingredients aren't so secret when they aren't properly mixed in.

So I can't decide what to do with them. I have a pan of decent brownies. Normally, I wouldn't mind giving some to friends, but I feel like now that I'm trying to make good vegan treats, they need to be great! I'm thinking about just frosting them, as a bit of a distraction, and seeing if people like them.

Regardless of the texture, the flavor is pretty good. They don't taste exactly like brownies, and you can definitely taste the bananas, but they're a pretty good treat. Not to mention that the stats are way healthier than normal brownies. I'd estimate that a normal size piece (say, a 2X2 inch piece is about 100 calories, and there is fiber and protein in there as well!)

So I guess next time, I need to write down the ingredients AND the instructions... *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment